Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mr. Darwin's Technology & Process

Just had Saturday morning coffee with Robert. Among other subject we discussed this blog and my affinity to all things Darwinian. Technology came up and I want to jot a few points that I have alluded to in earlier posts.

From the beginning I wanted to make the “Visiting Mr. Darwin” mini-project a “dual technology” effort. My Moleskine notebook represents Mr. Darwin’s technology, while this blog represents today’s technology (my technology). I’ve often wondered how things would have been different had the Internet and blogging been available in Victorian England. Would Mr. Darwin have used the Internet, blogging, IM, cell phones? I wonder if Mr. Darwin’s life-long accomplishments would have been aided or hindered by these “wondrous” technological capabilities? I have come to believe that “time” is an important component in any endeavor. Mr. Darwin’s circumstances gave him the time to pursue his interests. Critical time to think, ponder, question, formulate, observe and correlate. Does today’s technology have the affect of shortening the time available? And is that a good thing?

I think I’ll take some time to think about that. . .

Above: my "work environment" - where I live and work for 40-50+ hours per week.

Below: Mr. Darwin's "work enviornment" (his study) at Downe House. Given a choice of where to work I think I'd perfer Darwin's. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home